Monday, April 15, 2013

Introducing Go Animate!

Chocolate Pie Pieces by jmlife on GoAnimate

Video Maker - Powered by GoAnimate.

Familiar with Go Animate?  If not, I highly recommend signing up for a free account.  Upon logging in, I took a few minutes to watch a quick and simple tutorial, outlining some video design basics: character selection, setting, narration, gestures, facial expression, transitions, etc.  You want to know what's even better? If you don't want to worry about all of those decisions, Go Animate offers two different video making platforms:

  1. Try out Quick Video if you're in a pinch for time.  Simply choose a theme and characters, select a setting, and type in your narration. Nope, you don't even have to record your voice.  Save yourself the cringe :)  The rest is all done for you!  I'd say this is like the animated companion to Animoto.  As always, you have a limited selection of templates to choose from with a free account.
    • Note: I tried out this feature a few months back when Judy blogged about it in this post.  Literally, took 2-3 minutes to design a mini digital story.  Might be a powerful (yet easy!) way to introduce the art of digital storytelling to your kiddos.
  2.  Full Video Maker boasts many more design features and lends itself to greater "artistic freedom," if you will.  I decided try this out when I designed the above video.  Still, so simple to use.  I'm all about functionality.  The interface is very intuitive -- the program held my hand walked me through each step of the design process.
If I haven't bored you already, please do take a peak at my short (and rather silly!) video introducing yet another fraction conundrum!  This Common Core math is tricky stuff, so we've been encouraged by the district to use technology as a means of hooking students' interests at the onset of a lesson, while setting a problem to guide our inquiry. It's all about application and analysis of those mathematical principles.  My video targets comparing fractions with different denominators, and the notion that  the more pieces you separate the whole into, the smaller each piece is. (Of course, I had to use the classic pie example in this video, particularly because I have a student who is a major pie aficionado.)  We'll see how the kiddos do with this problem!

4 comments:

  1. This is a pretty good Web 2.0 tool that I hadn't seen demonstrated before. You can really make good use of this in your classes this year and subsequent ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, I love this! Your video had me laughing out loud a little. Really cute idea, and such a great way to keep practicing the tricky concept of fractions. I like how you get the kids involved by having the character address them personally as third graders. Are you planning on showing this to your students? I'm sure they'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should create more scenarios like this for your students. A whole set on any unit of math would be an ideal way to apply math to real-life situations and help students problem solve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you have done to incorporate technology into your curriculum. Math was never my favorite subject so I can see how this would be a great alternative method to engage students into learning math. You did a great job with the video. Go Animate resembles Xtranormal another web 2.0 tool that I used. I bet students would love to create their own math videos and have their classmates solve the math problems.

    ReplyDelete