Monday, April 15, 2013

Let's Vocalize this Voki!


In prior classes, I'd seen several colleagues try out Voki, but I had no idea how to go about creating these neat little avatars. As always, it's not until I try something and realize that it is, in fact, easy-to-use, do I begin to envision the classroom possibilities.  Maybe you'd call me lazy, or just plain practical, but I can't sacrifice any more of my personal time than I already do.  (Sleep is mighty important!)

So, I created a *FREE* account with Voki (isn't "free" the golden word among educators), and started to play.  I customized the character, tweaked the color/ facial features, and added my own narration.  I'm introducing a new science unit on animal adaptations, so I'm sure that my kiddos will get a kick out of this bear posing the unit's overarching question, "How do plants and animals survive in their environment?"

Be on the look out for several more Vokis that I'm in the process of creating, each targeting a different vocabulary term that my littles will have to know.  Maybe, I'll try out one of the pre-programmed British or Australian accents.  I have a sneaking suspicion that these avatars will be more compelling than vocab written out on the SmartBoard.  Oh the beauty of technology...

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I have also seen others creating vokis and I've been interested about how they work. They seem like a great tool to use for a multitude of purposes. I think I'll try to create one, too :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Andrea, now that you have been creating with Voki and GoAnimate, you really need a website for your students where you can store your creations for them to review even beyond class time. You can also show them how to comment, but just the access alone would be great for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should continue with your idea for the animal project. I think it is a great concept and your students will love it. Plus as you stated in your post it is an easy tool to use and format. Try using the pre-programmed voices, they are fun to try different accents. I used a British option for my Voki. Using Voki would enhance your student's learning experience for your lesson and teach them about technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuter than the shark :) I think having the students play with it would be an awesome way for them to get hands on :)

    ReplyDelete