Thursday, February 7, 2013

Organization 101: Tweet, Tweet!



I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm a little bit (or a lot a bit!) of an organizing fiend. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I get such satisfaction after tackling an unweildy organizing project. Yep, I do like to admire my handiwork, so I look for boxes/containers/dividers that combine functionality with visual appeal. The pictures I've shared above are a glimpse at my newly minted "teacher supply station," located in the dungeon of my basement.

So, you can imagine how excited I was when I learned about these handy RSS Feeds and my quick, super easy-to-use Google Reader. The truth is, I stumbled upon RSS while reading Flattening Classrooms, Engaging Minds: Move to Global Collaboration One Step at a Time, but I didn't quite "get" the purpose. I do think the text assumed a certain level of digital expertise that I'm still in the process of developing...Anyways, Richardson (2009) gave me the push I needed to activate my Google Reader (if you have a Google account, you've already got this neat application!). I unsubscribed from all of those Blogger email updates that were the bane of my existence [I despise clutter, even in my inbox], and watched as the new posts came to me! Talk about productivity!

If I'm lucky enough to get my kiddos blogging individually, you better believe I'll use Google Reader to keep track of their posts. Not only that, but this is a tool our budding student researchers can try their hand at as well. Students need to learn how to be productive (and wise...) consumers of information, and I think creating RSS search feeds are the way to go. Diigo and I have been longtime buddies, particularly when I was knee deep in research articles and in dire need of a hub to store it all. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of this incredible tool, namely the "label" function that enables seamless retrieval, and I can't get enough of those handy post-it notes and digital highlighters. I love any kind of school supply, albeit digital! While I've yet to capitalize on Diigo's collaborative features, I see great potential in using this platform to collect/share resources among team teachers.

Last but not least, I have to end with some remarks on Twitter. Initially, I was a Twitter-skeptic and, perhaps, I partially still am. I'm slowly learning the rules for appropriate hashtag usage, and I recently participated in an #elemsci chat where I scored a whole slew of valuable resources. Teaching is synonymous with sharing, isn't it? I still can't seem to get myself into a habit of using this platform on a regular basis. Pinterest, on the other hand, is an addiction for this visually inclined girl who loves to see lesson strategies/organizational schemes/materials in action, yet I do acknowledge the unique benefit of real-time feedback offered through Twitter. I highly recommend Cybraryman's website, where he organizes teacher chats by subject/grades and supplies a list of helpful hashtags to reference.

One way I can realistically see myself capitalizing on Twitter is by using it as a means of keeping families up-to-date on classroom happenings. PLEASE, make sure you look at this educator's Twitter page, where she provides parents with hour-by-hour pictures, comments, and questions. I love how parents can jump aboard Twitter for just a minute or two, to read a quick post (140 characters or less!) and know exactly what their child is doing. This eliminates the dreaded, "What did you learn in school today, dear?" and the inevitable "I don't remember" response. Parents can now ask targeted questions, courtesy of this teacher's Twitter page. Could you see yourself implementing Twitter in this fashion? If so, do you think your administration and/or parents would be supportive?



4 comments:

  1. Also, check this teacher's classroom Twitter account https://twitter.com/LiveFromRoom5/
    Both of these teachers who tweet out the pics of their classes and students are at the STEM Smith magnet in West Hartford. One was in my class fall 2012.
    I follow about 30 Classroom Twitter accounts. Go to my Twitter account and check my Lists. Look for the one marked Classroom Tweeters, and subscribe to it if you want to see how other Classroom Twitter accounts are working.

    https://twitter.com/JudyArzt
    Here is a direct link to the Classroom Tweeter List, but you can also check the other Lists I have while at my account:
    https://twitter.com/JudyArzt/classroom-tweeters/members

    Some of the Lists are "blocked," but I can unblock them if you want to subscribe to them. You might want to subscribe to the Elementary Teachers List.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links, Judy! I actually linked to LivefromRoom5 in my above blog post -- I am in absolute awe of this teacher! I can certainly see myself using Twitter successfully in this fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrea, I meant to check out @RockinRoom8 at https://twitter.com/RockinRoom8 Both kindergarten classes are at the Smith STEM. Rachel is the teacher for @RockinRoom8, and she is a colleague of @LivefromRoom5. What is your Twitter name? Send it to me in a tweet. Thanks. Maybe, I am already following you, and don't know it. As time permits, I want to encourage others to use Twitter. Rachel was in my class, EDUC 570, last semester. Twitter was an assignment in 570, but there are so many projects and assignments in 584, I just don't know if I can squeeze in another or introduce one more tool without overwhelming your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I am a bit skeptical of Twitter myself. You both inspired me to just do a little research into teacher Twitter accounts and I have to say I am intrigued! Cybraryman's website is inspiring and https://twitter.com/LiveFromRoom5/ makes me want to start a Twitter account immediately and put all the work my little gems do everyday up for the community to see! I never thought of using Twitter as an immediate communication log with families but now see that it is not only feasible but relatively simple as well!

    ReplyDelete