Friday, February 15, 2013

Animoto with a Flair for Fashion: What's in Miss Rosenfield's Purse?


Miss Rosenfield's rather unwieldy purse!
I'm thrilled to pieces with how this little video turned out.  Although, I certainly cannot take full credit...Babbling Abbey over at The Inspired Apple (her posts are FABULOUS!) shared this lesson with a rather unique take on inferring.  I have a slight addiction to purses - a collection of sorts if you will - so I couldn't resist taking some inspiration from my fellow bloggers as I designed my newest Animto.

Please take a peak at the Animoto below.  Keep in mind that it will serve as an introduction to the concept of inferring.  Together, we will attempt to generate inferences about ME based on the contents of my bag.  Ladies out there, wouldn't you concur that the state contents of your purse say a mighty lot about yourself!?  I sure do :)




I find that my kiddos are awfully eager to learn more about me, so this might be an ideal hook for introducing the crucial, yet complex skill of inferring.  Here's how I envision the lesson to play out...I hook the little one's interest by sharing this video, and then bring out the real deal!  We review the contents of my purse and create an anchor chart detailing specific items and corresponding inferences.  For example, I am a faithful carrier of Wet Wipes.  A likely inference might be: "Miss Rosenfield likes to keep clean."  [Or, she's totally a germaphobe!]  Both would be accurate.

Afterwards, I'm going to try out this adorable writing activity courtesy of Abbey, where the kiddos have to use all of the clues from my bag to draw conclusions. I'm anticipating some pretty cute responses.  For another take on this activity, perhaps for any male teachers out there, take a look at this FREE resource, What's in My Teacher's Trash? I think this lesson would be a perfect fit for a first, second, or third grade classroom...a strong follow-up lesson might include this impressive "Inferring Investigation" from Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), in which students sort through a pile of clues to determine how each character in a mini-story, spent his/her snow day.   Personally, I don't mind investing in high quality resources that I can strategically implement in the classroom.

As for Animoto, I've already shared just how much I *heart* this resource.  It's so simple to use and offers tons of neat backgrounds and music to select from.  I slowed down the pace of the video, so that my littles will have an opportunity to really investigate each "clue" from my purse.  I can confidently say that Animoto vidoes are engaging for viewers of any age and can serve as the perfect way to set the scene for a lesson.


5 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    This video is adorable! I love that you took something you're passionate about and made a lesson out of it. This video is engaging and I can just see your little students guessing at what else might be in your purse and drawing inferences about what kind of a person you are. I thought this was very well done. I would infer from your Animoto that you are a very creative teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea Andrea! Inferring is a very tricky topic to teach, especially to little ones who do it daily but don't even realize they do! I could see this lesson as an ice breaker for the beginning of the school year when they're trying to get to know you as well as each other (you could use their backpacks!). What a creative idea for your Animoto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a genius idea, Andrea!!! I love the fact that you not only put together an Animoto on making inferences, but that you also provided links to great resources to go along with the lesson! Thanks for that! Using personal items to teach students how to make inferences is the perfect way to teach "outside of the box" - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Andrea! I have seen many similar writing lessons where a teacher empties the contents of a bag and the students complete a creative writing story about what could have happened with those items. I LOVE how you made this a focus on inferring, especially because students are also interested to find out more about their teacher. As a follow up you could even pick a "type of person" and have students brainstorm what might be in that "kind of a person's" bag- just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I love the idea of selecting a certain type of person (i.e. differentiating by age/ occupation/ interests) and asking the students to infer what might be in his/her bag. Thanks for sharing -- what an excellent extension!

      Delete