Saturday, March 16, 2013

Take a Bite Out of Fractions: One "Sweet" Digital Story!

Please take a peak at the above draft of my digital story!  I took some inspiration from TLC's The Next Great Baker, and designed a mock entry video to submit for this one-of-a-kind baking competition.  I whipped up a delicious batch of 7 Layer Mint Chocolate Chip Bars (Yes, they are divine!), and set the stage for an upcoming problem set that my third graders will have to tackle...comparing fractions with different denominators!  I need to help my littles understand that the larger the denominator, the  smaller each piece of the "pie" is!  I figured that this video might set the stage for a tasty and engaging exploration...

 Please use the following form to share your feedback.  Thank you in advance!

 

4 comments:

  1. Andrea, this video is very creative! I enjoyed watching how you created these mint chocolate chip bars, I'm sure your students will, too. If I were to offer one suggestion I'd say maybe you could add text when you're discussing the different fractions? You added a sentence at the end asking whether or not 2/4 is bigger than 2/8. I'm just thinking about my kids who really need a lot of visual support. It might be helpful for students to see the fractions "2/4" and "2/8" in large print on the screen when you talk about them. Just an idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Diana! Will be adding this to my digital story.

      Delete
  2. Great video. I had to stop watching it because I started to get really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, nice work with this digital story! I know your student's are going to love it! I agree with Diana, add text so that the students can comprehend a bit more easily. Also, are you going to create a follow up for after they complete their calculations/discussion? It might be cute to actually show them what 2/8 of the bars would be compared to 2/4. Awesome work though!

    ReplyDelete