Saturday, March 2, 2013

Google Docs in the Classroom

Are you swooning yet?  I'm simply envisioning the potential of GoogleDocs in my future (soon-to-be) classroom.  Some of you may already be GoogleDoc experts, so I welcome any suggestions, please!  I've used this collaborative, auto-saving, commenting enabled, eliminates-the-need-for-a-flash-drive platform, when tackling graduate level projects with peers who head from all areas of CT.  I *heart* working from the comfort from my own home and relish not having to send email revisions back and fourth.  No email clutter = one very happy girl!

Yet again, Hicks (2009) has brought me to a startling, but crucial realization...Google Docs can transform the way in which I manage, respond to, and create an audience for students' writing.  I'd like to take a moment to consider how just how powerful this tool can be:

A) I won't have to hear, "But I left my paper at home."  Or how about, "Miss Rosenfield, I can't find my journal."  And, an oldie but a goody, "I forgot to save my last draft on the computer.  It's gone!"  Yep, Google Docs eliminates any of these common problems because everything is auto-saved, accessible from any computer, and revision history can be tracked in the event kiddos need a look back at their work.

B) Peer editing can be taken to the next level.  Students can leave comments (or even participate in a chat), regarding their peer's work.  Obviously, plenty of modeling will be necessary for students to understand what sort of feedback is the most constructive.  Check out this blog post on using Google Docs to facilitate writer's workshop, where you'll find a variety of  editing-related skills that might become the basis for small group instruction.  How about "word smiths," "description detectives," "big picture person," or "tense tracker?" All of the specifics are outlined if you follow the above link.

C) Can you say "clutter free classroom?"  Well, maybe this won't drastically cut-down on all things paper, but I'm confident that it will make a difference.  And, I won't have to fret when my literacy block ends and I haven't had a chance to confer with all of my students.  Instead,  I can jump aboard their Google Doc and leave some comments to get the juices moving.  While I don't think written comments can replace the beauty of face-to-face conferring, it at least gives me an option to deliver more immediate feedback.  Just as Hicks emphasizes, it's not about grabbing the trusted red pen -- err font --- and conducting surgery on students' work.  Instead, the goal is to be strategic and focus on one or two areas/skills for the student(s) to really focus in on.

Want some more Google Docs inspiration?  You MUST look at this fabulous, interactive Glogster (almost like a virtual poster board) with some pretty spectacular uses for Google Docs in the classroom.  I'll wet your palette just a little bit :) You'll learn about designing templates, utilizing Google Form to create an "assignment tracker," creating mind maps with Google Draw and so much more!  I'm off to do some exploring of my own :)


photo credit: NedraI via photopin cc

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, you've inspired me to do a little research on using GoogleDocs in my classroom. I am still a beginner in the whole realm of GoogleDocs but I had only associated them to my graduate classes. I never even thought of the prospect of using them with my students to provide feedback. My students are working on a poetry unit in writing and I think using GoogleDocs would be a great resource to publish their poetry and track their progress. I am definitely going to look into this more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm going to have to look into this, too. When my fifth graders were typing up their essays I had to make sure I saved them on my flash drive (Seems a bit outdated now, right?) I love that you can access the file anywhere anytime! And very true--you no longer have to worry about someone closing the document without saving their most recent draft! I love the idea of peer editing, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used GoogleDocs to collaborate with members from our USJ classes -- it is SO helpful! I, too, am excited to try this out with my kiddos. It will require that everyone has a Gmail account; it's the only thing I'm slightly weary about.

      Delete
  3. One of the great benenfits of using Google Docs int he classroom environment is the increased level of accountability for both students and teachers that can be brought about. The days of "the dog ate my homework" should be over although students will inevitably come up with new and creative excuses.

    ReplyDelete