Friday, March 8, 2013

Attention: Time to Nab Some Incredible Math and Literacy FREEBIES!


I'm pretty confident that all of you can relate to the following scenario:  It's far past your bedtime on a school night (try 10pm!) and you're still up tweaking a lesson, finalizing an upcoming unit, or *GASP* tackling a mounting pile of those pesky "need-to-be-graded" papers.  Cue the crickets!

Well, I just stumbled upon a new favorite blog of mine late last evening, Welcome to the Teacher Trap! Ramblings of a Third Grade Teacher, and she gave me THE golden ticket to language arts planning and instruction.  I know there's plenty of elementary teachers out there, so I urge you to stop by the Austin Independent School District Language Arts Instructional Resources.  Here, you'll find topics ranging from author's purpose to trusted reading intervention lessons, text structure and Daily 5 Management.  Trust me, the list goes on!  I was thrilled to pieces to find a very comprehensive poetry unit, chock full of writing samples, explanations, sample student portfolios, and a healthy dose of lesson inspiration.  I've been scouring TeachersPayTeachers for resources, but this site gave me exactly what I envisioned without the price tag :)

For any teachers getting ready to tackle the Common Core's spin on fractions (it's my next unit with my 3rd graders!), I also thought I'd share these handy resources that I plan on using to introduce and reinforce the topic in a fun and tangible way:
These are FREE lessons from TpT that simply require a quick download.  If you're interested in exploring even more resources that I've found, please feel free to check out my Diigo account with some recent additions. Hope to have saved you some precious minutes of sleep tonight :)

photo credit: ShutterSparks via photopin cc

2 comments:

  1. These are great resources. Thanks for sharing. The fractions will really help fourth grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I fell into the Teacher Trap blog! Twenty minutes after clicking on the link in your post I found myself thumbing through her posts and resources, what a great find! Thanks for the fraction resources, they're a little advanced for my little ones but one of my colleagues was looking for some the other day and I will be sure to pass these along!

    ReplyDelete